FEDERAL PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION
FOR RECRUITMENT TO POSTS IN BS-17
UNDER THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT
TIME ALLOWED: THREE HOURS
PART-I(MCQS): MAXIMUM 30 MINUTES
PART-I (MCQS) MAXIMUM MARKS = 20
PART-II MAXIMUM MARKS = 80
- (i) Part-II is to be attempted on the separate Answer Book.
- (ii) Attempt ONLY FOUR questions from PART-II. ALL questions carry EQUAL marks.
- (iii) All the parts (if any) of each Question must be attempted at one place instead of at different places.
- (iv) Candidate must write Q. No. in the Answer Book in accordance with Q. No. in the Q.Paper.
- (v) No Page/Space be left blank between the answers. All the blank pages of Answer Book must be crossed.
- (vi) Extra attempt of any question or any part of the attempted question will not be considered.
Q. No. 2.
In what way, Wordsworth has democratised the tradition of literature? Discuss it with special reference to his poem “Resolution and Independence” (20)
Q. No. 3.
“The Waste Land” evoked the waste and sterility of a Western world ravaged by the horrors of World War-I; it is not a poem about war but the war’s trauma. Discuss. (20)
Q. No. 4.
Bradly argues that Hamlet’s inaction is due to his melancholia caused by his father’s death and his mother’s hasty remarriage. What do you think, why does Hamlet procrastinate in killing the King? (20)
Q. No. 5.
D.H. Lawrence’s Sons and Lovers is somewhat autobiographical in which is portrayed a young man’s inner struggles caused by his affection for his mother. What self-realization does the protagonist experience after the death of his mother? (20)
Q. No. 6.
With what kind of evidence and reasoning does Freud support the psychoanalytic theory that children entertain death- wishes toward their parents? And how does it help us to interpret literary texts? (20)
Q. No. 7.
Female poetics seeks to understand why female authors tend to favour certain genres (lyric, poetry, novel, short story, tale, letters, diaries, memories) over others (epic, martial romance, drama, satire). Elaborate. (20)
Q. No. 8.
(a) According to Emerson what terrors frighten us from self-trust? Where in the essay “Self-Reliance” do you find the clearest statements that tune the strings of transcendentalism?
(b) Sketch the character of Thomas Wilson in Somerset Maugham’s “The Lotus Eater.” Is the title of the story appropriate to him?
(10 each) (20)