FEDERAL PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION
FOR RECRUITMENT TO POSTS IN BS-17
UNDER THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT
TIME ALLOWED: THREE HOURS
PART-I(MCQS): MAXIMUM 30 MINUTES
PART-I (MCQS) MAXIMUM MARKS = 20
PART-II MAXIMUM MARKS = 80
- (i) Part-II is to be attempted on the separate Answer Book.
- (ii) Attempt ONLY FOUR questions from PART-II. ALL questions carry EQUAL marks.
- (iii) All the parts (if any) of each Question must be attempted at one place instead of at different places.
- (iv) Candidate must write Q. No. in the Answer Book in accordance with Q. No. in the Q.Paper.
- (v) No Page/Space be left blank between the answers. All the blank pages of Answer Book must be crossed.
- (vi) Extra attempt of any question or any part of the attempted question will not be considered.
Q. No. 2.
Enlist and explain the bad habits of writing George Orwell identifies in his essay “Politics and the English Language”. What solutions does he suggest for getting rid of these bad habits? (20)
Q. No. 3.
How successfully do you think Chesterton manages to employ the technique of narrative within a narrative in his short story A Somewhat Improbable Story? (20)
Q. No. 4.
T.S Eliot appreciates John Donne for his “unified sensibility”. Does Eliot’s own poetry also depict the same quality in poems The Wasteland and The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock? (20)
Q. No. 5.
Discuss Mick’s exploitation of language for accosting Davies in Harold Pinter’s play the Caretaker. (20)
Q. No. 6.
Does Hester gradually gain wisdom through her constant suffering in the novel ‘A Scarlet Letter’? If so, how? Explain. (20)
Q. No. 7.
Is Post-colonial Studies “the most flourishing sector of cultural studies today”? Justify your arguments with the help of appropriate examples. (20)
Q. No. 8.
How far do you think Psychoanalysis is appropriate for understanding literary texts? Explain your ideas. (20)