FEDERAL PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION
COMPETITIVE EXAMINATION-2018 FOR RECRUITMENT TO POSTS IN BS-17
UNDER THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT
TIME ALLOWED: THREE HOURS
PART-I(MCQS): MAXIMUM 30 MINUTES
PART-I (MCQS) MAXIMUM MARKS = 20
PART-II MAXIMUM MARKS = 80
- (i) Part-II is to be attempted on the separate Answer Book.
- (ii) Attempt ONLY FOUR questions from PART-II. ALL questions carry EQUAL marks.
- (iii) All the parts (if any) of each Question must be attempted at one place instead of at different places.
- (iv) Candidate must write Q. No. in the Answer Book in accordance with Q. No. in the Q.Paper.
- (v) No Page/Space be left blank between the answers. All the blank pages of Answer Book must be crossed.
- (vi) Extra attempt of any question or any part of the attempted question will not be considered.
- (a) Define Resonance and Resonance effect. (10)
- (b) Write Short note on followings. (5+5) (20)
- (i) Tautomerism
- (ii) Hyperconjugation.
Q.No. 3. (a) Complete the following reactions. (8×2=16)
- (i) CH3-CH=CH> + KMnO4 H20 > ?
- (ii) CH3-CH=CH, + NiA Pressure
- (ii) CH3-CH=CH2 + dil. H2SO0,————_»> ?
- (iv) CH3-CH=CH, + CH3 — C-H—————->
- (v) CH3-CH=CH2 + Br2 CCly ;
- (vi) CH; —C= CH; + Na/lig N4;>-———>
- (vii) CH=CH+NaNH, ————>
- (viii) CH=CH+H20 H2804 /HgSO.,
(b) 1-Butyne forms a precipitate with an ammonical solution of silver nitrate where 2-Butyne does not. Why? (4) (20)
Q.No. 4. Explain electrophilic substitution reaction mechanism with the help of:
- (i) Nitration
- (ii) Sulphonation. (20)
- (a) Distinguish between: (4×3=12)
- (i) Configuration and conformation
- (ii) Enantiomer and Diastreomers
- (iii) RR. Convention and S. Convention
- (b) Define specific rotation. How do you measure using polarimeter? (8) (20)
- (a) What do you mean by the setting of cement. (10)
- (b) Discuss future of cement industry in Pakistan. (10) (20)
- (a) Explain Aldol condensation reaction with examples. (10)
- (b) What are proteins? (5)
- (c) Explain Bio synthesis of cholesterol. (5)
Q.No. 8. Explain the following: (4 marks each) (20)
- (a) Beers Lamberts Law. (b) Wood Wards Fieser Rule
- (c) Hooks Law (d) Basic principle of NMR?
- (e) Chemical Shift.