FEDERAL PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION
COMPETITIVE EXAMINATION-2017 FOR RECRUITMENT TO POSTS IN BS-17
UNDER THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT
JOURNALISM & MASS COMMUNICATION
TIME ALLOWED: THREE HOURS
PART-I(MCQS): MAXIMUM 30 MINUTES
PART-I (MCQS) MAXIMUM MARKS = 20
PART-II MAXIMUM MARKS = 80
- (i) Part-II is to be attempted on the separate Answer Book.
- (ii) Attempt ONLY FOUR questions from PART-II. ALL questions carry EQUAL marks.
- (iii) All the parts (if any) of each Question must be attempted at one place instead of at different places.
- (iv) Candidate must write Q. No. in the Answer Book in accordance with Q. No. in the Q.Paper.
- (v) No Page/Space be left blank between the answers. All the blank pages of Answer Book must be crossed.
- (vi) Extra attempt of any question or any part of the attempted question will not be considered.
Q. No. 2. Briefly narrate the implications and shortcomings of the Shannon and Weaver model of Communication?
Q. No. 3. Explain how Uses and Gratification Theory is an audience centered approach in understanding Mass Communication. Also explain how is it positivistic
Q. No. 4. How Mac Bride Commission report analyze communication problems in
modern societies? Discuss its recommendations in detail.
Q. No. 5. Define Public Relations. Also explain its tools and techniques and challenges in Pakistan.
Q. No. 6. Define and explain the term Development Support Communication. Also narrate how it can be helpful in solving various social issues of Pakistani society?
Q. No. 7. “Pakistani media organizations are unable to formulate a self-disciplined code of ethics.” Do you agree or not. Support your answer with logic and arguments.
Q. No. 8. Write brief notes on any TWO of the following: (10 each)
(a) Media as an agent of social change
(b) Gerbner’s Model of Communication
(c) Role of Social media in Pakistan