FEDERAL PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION
COMPETITIVE EXAMINATION-2018 FOR RECRUITMENT TO POSTS IN BS-17
UNDER THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT
Town Planning & Urban Management
TIME ALLOWED: THREE HOURS
PART-I(MCQS): MAXIMUM 30 MINUTES
PART-I (MCQS) MAXIMUM MARKS = 20
PART-II MAXIMUM MARKS = 80
- (i) Part-II is to be attempted on the separate Answer Book.
- (ii) Attempt ONLY FOUR questions from PART-II. ALL questions carry EQUAL marks.
- (iii) All the parts (if any) of each Question must be attempted at one place instead of at different places.
- (iv) Candidate must write Q. No. in the Answer Book in accordance with Q. No. in the Q.Paper.
- (v) No Page/Space be left blank between the answers. All the blank pages of Answer Book must be crossed.
- (vi) Extra attempt of any question or any part of the attempted question will not be considered.
Q. No. 2.
As a town planner, suppose you have been assigned a project lead position to prepare a master plan of a metropolitan city. Develop your project team by explaining which other professionals will be engaged by you. Also discuss, which services will be provided by them for the successful completion of the assignment?
Q. No. 3.
Explain the general urban form characteristics of historical European cities. Also, discuss whether these characteristics offer any advantage in pursuing the goals of sustainable development?
Q. No. 4.
Differentiate ‘urbanization’ from ‘urban sprawl’. Are large Pakistani cities facing both of these processes simultaneously? Discuss. Support your viewpoint with examples.
Q. No. 5.
Discuss different ways and approaches to reduce the housing cost for the low income people in order to promote equitable development.
Q. No. 6.
Can socio-environmental problems of urban areas be addressed through urban design guidelines? While discussing, provide relevant examples and illustrations, where possible.
Q. No. 7.
Which various factors are responsible for growing intense competition among different stakeholders over the use of natural resources? Also, suggest different measures to resolve the conflicts arising from such intense competition.
Q. No. 8.
Write short note on any TWO of the following: (10 each)
(a) Significance of GIS application in urban planning
(b) Role of building and development control in managing urbanization
(c) Planning features of Indus Valley Civilization