FEDERAL PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION
COMPETITIVE EXAMINATION-2017 FOR RECRUITMENT TO POSTS IN BS-17
UNDER THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT
Town Planning & Urban Management
TIME ALLOWED: THREE HOURS
PART-I(MCQS): MAXIMUM 30 MINUTES
PART-I (MCQS) MAXIMUM MARKS = 20
PART-II MAXIMUM MARKS = 80
- (i) Part-II is to be attempted on the separate Answer Book.
- (ii) Attempt ONLY FOUR questions from PART-II. ALL questions carry EQUAL marks.
- (iii) All the parts (if any) of each Question must be attempted at one place instead of at different places.
- (iv) Candidate must write Q. No. in the Answer Book in accordance with Q. No. in the Q.Paper.
- (v) No Page/Space be left blank between the answers. All the blank pages of Answer Book must be crossed.
- (vi) Extra attempt of any question or any part of the attempted question will not be considered.
Q. No. 2. ‘Town Planning’ is considered to be a multidisciplinary field. Discuss in detail
the different professionals that should be part of a town planning exercise,
explaining the ways in which they can contribute in the process. (20)
Q. No. 3. Cities in Pakistan have witnessed uncontrolled growth as part of rapid
urbanization. In the role of a technocrat and decision maker what would be
your approach to address the issues of our urban centres gearing them towards
a more balanced and sustained growth. (20)
Q. No. 4. What do you understand by the ‘human development paradigm’? Explain how it should be incorporated within planning and development process. (20)
Q. No. 5. Informal settlements in cities have offered a respite to the housing crisis for the masses in Pakistan. In the light of examples from the developing countries
discuss possible ways of improvements in such settlements. Also mention examples of such initiatives in Pakistan, if any. (20)
Q. No. 6. Explain what is an Intelligent Transport System (ITS)? Discuss the need for such systems in the context of Pakistan’s urban centres. (20)
Q. No.7 What do you understand by the terms Metropolitan City, Megacity,
Cosmopolitan city? Using examples of cities in Pakistan discuss the challenges
of planning and management of such cities and how could these be addressed? (20)
Q. No. 8 Write short notes on any two of the following, using appropriate examples: (10 each)
(i) Garden City Movement
(ii) Urban Area Conservation
(iii) Poverty Alleviation through Planning Process